Walk-Man is a robot android created by ‘ Italian Institute of Technology in Genoa , directed by Roberto Cingolani . High 185 cm and weighing 118 kg (with battery); shoulder width 80 cm and 56 cm wide pelvis, arm span 2 meters.
The Italian Institute of Technology has developed a European project called WALK-MAN also launching a humanoid robot named Walk-Man and funded by the European Commission by the end of 2013 and which includes the ‘ University of Pisa , l ‘ École Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne ( EPFL ) in Switzerland , the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology ( KIT ) in Germany and l ‘ Université Catholique de Louvain ( UCL ) in Belgium .
The acronym of the project stands for ” Whole Body Adaptive Locomotion and Manipulation “and has the aim of developing a robotic platform (anthropomorphic in form) able to operate outside of the space laboratory in structured environments and workplaces altered following natural disasters or man-made.
Walk-Man built by a team of 24 robotic, led by project leader Nikolaos Tsagarakis , who treated the mechanical , electronics and software , is proposed as a prototype with powerful manipulation skills, physical strength and balanced locomotion. In addition, the robot has enough perception and cognitive skills to enable you to work independently or in small tele-operation.
The most sophisticated humanoid robot , which makes it ideal to adapt to environments of human beings is the system ” SoftHand “, a hand can manipulate objects with great dexterity, delicacy and sensitivity, the work of the Research Centre” E . Piaggio “of ‘ University of Pisa with all ‘ IIT.
Built in only ten months, in 2015 the ‘ IIT has Walk-Man to race Fairflplex Pomona , the exhibition center of Los Angeles, the DARPA Robotics Challenge ( DRC ), the international competition between teams of robotic launched in September 2012 by ‘” Agency For Advanced Search Of US Department Of Defense “( DARPA ).
The robot, in the race, was placed 17th after having passed the first two tests of 8: guide and door open.
The main features of Walk-Man affect the mechanical design and control software. The software architecture is based on the platform Yarp with additions of ROS and Gazebo
On the back is positioned a battery of 2 KWh which allows him to fulfill activities autonomously for at least two hours. Engines Walk-Man is a patent IIT , have an output of 2.8 kW and integrated in a single module “click-on” torque sensors, force sensors, and position sensors. Two PC with processor Intel i7 quad-core controlling vision, perception and movement. Body movement is run by about 40 control cards, 33 engines that combine the various joints, 4 torque sensors of force (two and two in the ankles or wrists) and two accelerometers to adjust the balance. Its structure is organized in the following way:
In the head are located:
- Two cameras for stereo vision
- a laser scanner rotating 3D
- an accelerometer
- a PC for processing of data relating to the vision and perception
- rotates 180 °
- It contains a backpack for accommodation of battery 2kWh
- a PC for processing data related to the walk and manipulation
- 2 pairs-force sensors (to control the movement of the limbs)
- upper limbs retrovertibili
- SoftHand hands to carry out acts of extreme precision
- an accelerometer (IMU)
- 2 pairs-force sensors
- actuators in the upper part to reduce the inertia in the walk
- walk “compliant” to the intrinsic compliance adaptive to surfaces with different inclinations
- Drive a vehicle
- Walk like a human being and maintain balance
- Manipulate objects and devices
- Locate and close a valve
- Walking on uneven ground surfaces
- Operate with jackhammers and drills
- Open a door
- Remove or overcome obstacles
- Climb stairs
- Rise from the ground in the event of a fall