RoboMind is software specifically developed to support technology education. By programming a robot, students learn about logic, computer science and robotics. The beauty of RoboMind is the compactness of the learning environment. It directly connects logical thinking to solving challenges encountered in daily life and industry.
The programming language used in RobotMind is called ‘ROBO’. This language has been designed to be easy to understand and allow budding computer programmers to quickly familiarise themselves with the basics of computer science by programming their own robot. In addition to an introduction into popular programming techniques, users will also gain insight into areas such as robotics and artificial intelligence.
ROBO is designed in such a way that you can start exploring and programming right away. A special programming language has been created that consists of a concise set of rules and is aimed at programming a robot. As a result there are a lot of opportunities to create programs on your own and experience the principles that lay at the heart of most other programming languages.
The entire RoboMind environment is completely free for both individual as well as educational and commercial use. There are no unpleasant surprises such as trial periods, restricted functionality or advertisements. To download RoboMind, please scroll to the end of this page and click on the download link.
This activity uses RoboMind, a robot simulation environment, to present the fundamental concepts of robotics. No prior experience with Robotics is necessary! There is some simple programming involved, but don’t be afraid to give it a try even if you have never programmed before. The activity instructions will show you everything you need to know!
In this activity, you will:
- Become familiar with RoboMind, a robot simulation environment
- Command a robot to move where you want it to go
- Teach the robot to sense its surroundings, so it doesn’t crash
- Make the robot perform a simple task for you (pick up and move an object)
Make sure you have the latest software
You need the RoboMind software to complete this activity. If you have done other RoboMind activities, you should already have the software installed on your system. If not, download and install the software that is available on www.robomind.net.
This exercise introduces you to the fundamental concepts of robotics, and prepares you to do other activities with robotics. You will learn how to program a robot using the RoboMind robot simulator environment. Don’t worry if you don’t have any programming experience, RoboMind is very friendly and we will walk you through it!
By completing this exercise you will learn:
- Movement. Robots aren’t very useful if they can’t move! You will learn how to control the direction and motion of your RoboMind Robot.
- Sensing. Robots need to sense their surroundings, so they don’t bump into things (or walk off of a cliff!)
- Interacting with the Environment. Robots are often used to move items from one place to another. Robots are used in office buildings to deliver mail to offices. Robots are also used in warehouses to gather a collection of items for a shipment.
For full details on what to do next, please download the Getting started PDF here.